“This vegan brie is so good, it’s better than the real thing! It’s got a rich, creamy texture and loads of flavor. Serve it with fruit and crackers for a delicious appetizer”. Alison Andrews
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (150g)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons White Miso Paste
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Vegetable Stock (120ml) or Vegetable Broth
Add raw cashews to a bowl. Pour boiling hot water from the kettle over the top and leave them to soak for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, drain and rinse the cashews.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Add the soaked cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, miso paste, salt and vegetable stock to the blender jug and blend until very smooth.
Line two oven-safe ramekins (~3 inches round, 2.5 inches deep) with parchment paper. Secure the parchment paper in place with a rubber band (remove it before baking).
Divide the vegan brie between the two prepared ramekins.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Let them cool at room temperature until cooled and then transfer to the fridge to chill completely before removing from the ramekins.
Serve with fruit and crackers for a wonderful appetizer.
- Nutritional yeast – adds to the cheesy flavor. If you’re not a fan of nutritional yeast, you can leave it out, but it is highly recommended.
- White Miso paste – white miso paste (often not actually white at all in color) works wonderfully but you can also use red or brown miso paste.
- Blender or food processor. If you don’t have a good blender then this also works great in a food processor. It can seem as if it’s a little more grainy but once baked etc, you don’t know the difference.
- Ramekin sizes. The exact sizes of your ramekins aren’t important. If you have one bigger ramekin (5-6 inches) then you’ll just get one bigger round of cheese instead of the two smaller ones that we got.
- Serving. This vegan brie pairs very well with red grapes, strawberries and figs. We love it on crackers with fig jam.
- Storing and Freezing: Store your brie in a covered container in the fridge for up to 7 days. It is also freezer friendly for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then serve as usual.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 136mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg